Recipe courtesy of Tammy Wong, Rainbow Chinese Restaurant
- 3 lbs. Winter Squash ( any sweet squash will work, Buittercup, Butternut, and Hubbard all work well)
- 3 Quarts Water
- 4-5 Slices Fresh Ginger or ½ Teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Can Coconut Cream (14 Ounces)
- ½ Cup Small Pearl Tapioca
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds, and roughly chop into 1 inch cubes.
- Place the squash, water and fresh ginger if using into a medium saucepan and place over high heat.
- Bring to a boil and then boil for ten minutes or until the squash starts to soften.
- Add tapioca pearls and continue boiling for ten more minutes.
- Add coconut cream, sugar, and powdered ginger if using.
- Return to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cover, allow to rest for at least ten minutes.
- Pudding will continue to thicken and tapioca will continue to cook as it cools.
- Remove fresh ginger before serving.